Saturday, June 25, 2011

Working in the Garden

Actually, it is mostly a flat of sand and rocks. The automatic sprinkler I set out didn't work too well with the water turned off at the pump, but I soaked the spot after we arrived. This morning I set beet seedlings in peat pots into the now wet sandy soil. Does "loess" describe what we are dealing with? It's better than the clay in Loveland.

Mosquitoes are out, but this morning I noticed lacewings landing on my hands. I am about to go to the Pipe Dream East to secure hinges to a shed door and will stop by the river to look for them there. The river is still fairly high and swift, but much less muddy. Snow pack estimates were put, from mountain readings at 101% of normal, but some experts contend the river flow will be more like 60-70% of normal.

The forecast is for 86 today. The Basinger family will be hosting a farewell meal and get together for a foster child leaving to join the military. Lebanese food has been prepared. We'll head out for perhaps warmer wetter in the Antonito area where the rendezvous will be held. My back has been very still and sore upon rising after sitting, but I think I will be able to enjoy the day after some garden stretching to plant those beets.

The bigger picture and gardener's shoes

west section: carrots, beets, garlic, something else...


Happy tractor operator, before the tire went out.
NEUROptera !

No comments:

Post a Comment