Saturday, September 18, 2010

Out of Touch but thinking of how to touch base

It has been a while since my last post and last pledge to be more engaged with the family through the blog. So I will simply share two thoughts or reflections on one or other mental or physical activity. (the secret of life is Move.)

After hearing about a veteran baritone sax player on NPR, I spent some time yesterday evening in the rec room blowing through the tenor. I chose the plastic mouthpiece built on a more open thrOat design like a metal mouthpiece, not the selmer that really blows. I have spoken to Mary about "the sound", so I simply played a series of tone-one-tone-down notes. Sustaining a strong clean note in the midrange produced in my head distinct overtones of the tonic and sub dominate as I held them. It reminded me of the "crazy as an oboe player" chestnut, there being the case of self-induced oxygen deprivation rather than the metasonic action on the brain. I noticed the classic Patterns for Jazz on the music stand open to the exercise on ascending and descending major 7ths and read the notes of the first pair; CM7 up, DbM7 down. However, I couldn't continue the pattern without the notes written which I intend to do today.

The other thought that came to mind, and prompted by the waxing of the moon toward the fall equinox, was to propose an antithesis of the Easter holiday. Submitted for your approval, please consider the observation of a lunar holiday which I will simply call WESTER. It would fall after the first[Sun-]day after the first full moon after the fall equinox. I might not insist on any day of the week, Maybe Saturday would be a better day for a party! And there's no reason to get entirely contradictory about the lunar benchmarks - we are not talking about June 25 being Satan's Birthday because it is exactly opposite Christmas. Like Easter, Wester would wander around the calendar bringing some variety and probably not a little inconvenience as to when it fell. It might be superfluous as we head into the holiday season, but no more so tha Kwanza, or Festivus.

No comments:

Post a Comment