Monday, February 7, 2011

Ear splitting notes

Except for the lowest notes on the sax, I have worked up my embouchure to play for 20 something minutes across the range of the horn. However, I picked up the flute over the weekend rather than the saxophone to run through my Patterns of Jazz workbook practice. It is a modern classic in music theory study published in 1970 that I did not rehearse with fidelity. However, I do have sufficient scale proficiency to play across the entire "circle of fifths"scale progressions.

It is still much easier to play the flute than the sax due to the pressure of the mouthpiece on my inner, upper lip, though I produce a much better sound on the sax. [I don't bite the mouthpiece like some players do.] The lower notes are breathy and the highest notes are shrill. It is the latter I experimented with after wondering how one of the exercises would sound in the upper register. Finding a fingering on the chart helped me produce one note (highest G?) much clearer and I stayed with the exercise in the upper register.

When I stopped I notice louder ringing than usual. My last such encounter was over Thanksgiving when my earplug slipped out of place in my left ear while using the chainsaw. I took some time to recover from that escalation back down to the persistent but familiar whine I am familiar with. Without a bell and playing at the top of the tube, the screechy notes are pushing some high decibels. High, chirpy passages for Afro-Cuban jazz pieces are out of the question, though I might try protecting the left ear...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dad,

    Way to hit the high notes. Sorry about the ringing noises. It's nice that you keep practicing.

    I need to get back to that someday.

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete